Madison Wisconsin capital
Home » News » General Alcohol News » Does Wisconsin have Temporary Liquor Licenses?

Does Wisconsin have Temporary Liquor Licenses?

Wisconsin Liquor License

Question: I have a church organization who annually files for a temporary beer/wine license for their church picnic.  They have requested for information so to  be able to sell mix drinks (alcoholic  beverages) during these events.
Answer:  Correct – there is no “temporary” distilled spirits license. Likewise, if licensed for sale of beer or wine, patrons may not carry in their own distilled spirits (or any other alcohol beverages) onto the event premises.
  • Temporary Class B licenses (often called picnic licenses) allow retail fermented malt beverage and/or wine sales, at temporary events like fairs and festivals. Only specified organizations qualify for such a license. Temporary licenses may be issued to:
      1. Bona fide clubs
      2. State, county, or local fair associations, or agricultural societies
      3. Churches, lodges, or societies that have been in existence for at least 6 months prior to the date of application
      4. Posts of veterans organizations
      5. Chambers of commerce or similar civic or trade organizations organized under ch. 181, Wis. Stats

There are several other locally issued licenses or state issued permits that allow retail sale of alcohol beverages under certain circumstances. The licenses listed above are the most common, however. (Sec. 125.51(10), Wis. Stats.)