A shaker is an essential tool in the fine art of mixology. Shaking a drink not only mixes all the ingredients but also cools them down. The crisp taste and feel of a chilled drink can all be done with a shaker. An enhanced cocktail experience cannot be had without one.
The 3 Piece
The Cobbler shaker is excellent for beginners and can also be known as the 3 Piece. The main container looks like a Boston tin however, it's main distinction is the lid. The Cobbler has a lid with a built-in strainer, and a cap to cover the strainer holes while shaking the drink.
Due to the strainer being integrated into the lid, a cocktail strainer is not needed when pouring into a glass.
Cobblers tend to have a smaller volume than Boston shakers, meaning they specialize in only shaking one drink.
Because of their ability to produce only one drink at a time and with a smaller volume, the Cobbler is argued to not be as effective when serving in a busy bar.
The integrated strainer and smaller volume makes the Cobbler more suited for beginner’s.
Pros and Cons
- Decorative – lids and caps can come in a variety of shapes
- Integrated Strainer – no need for a cocktail strainer
- Less Dilution – smaller volume means less ice
- Easy to Use – the best shaker for beginners, no special techniques are needed to use this shaker
- Small Volume – less efficient in busy bars
- Difficult to Open – changes in temperature cause the metal to contract, creating a tight seal on the lid and cap – this often requires the shaker to be rinsed under a warm tap to open it, which defeats the point of chilling the drink in a shaker
- Not Suitable for Egg – due to the dirt traps around the cap, egg whites and syrups can easily get stuck