Beverage Service Training Program
We have been working with California since 2012 and our Responsible Beverage Service Training Program is backed by over 34 years of experience with alcohol and certifying individuals and businesses since 1985. Use any computer, tablet, iPhone, or Android device. Takes less than 3 hours. Easily complete your California alcohol course with our online California responsible alcohol certification course. You'll have your certificate today upon completion of the course.
Beginning July 2021, the Responsible Beverage Service Training Act of 2017, AB 1221, will mandate that all alcohol servers or managers at on-premises establishments must complete a California alcohol server training course. This certification course is often referred to as California responsible beverage server training, California bartender license, or California seller/server permit.
This California alcohol course gives you with the tools to sell and serve alcohol responsibly. With our course you will not only protect yourself but the establishment where you are serving the alcohol. Additionally, you will learn:
- The effects of alcohol on your patrons
- Keep customers from becoming intoxicated
- Intervene when you need to refuse a sale
- Prevent intoxicated customers from disturbing others
- Properly check IDs and to recognize minors
- Prevent second-party sales
- Protect yourself and the establishment from liability
Quick & Easy
This course takes 3 hours or less depending on the individual. It's easy to begin and complete in one sitting or take our training course at your leisure. Leave and come back to the course as many times as needed. When you return, the training will pick up where you last had left.
Use Any Cell Phone, Tablet, or Computer
Our courses can be completed on any computer, tablet, or cellphone. Your certificate is available to you immediately upon completion as an emailed PDF file. Complete it tonight and email to your manager before going to work tomorrow. Select your course, click enroll now, complete the course and print your certificate!
Required By Most Insurance Carriers
Most liability insurance carriers for alcohol serving establishments (restaurants, bars, taverns, night clubs, etc.) require all employees to be alcohol certified. They will require your staff remain current with state rules, regulations, and laws, in regards to the service of alcohol. As a result, more businesses are requiring our alcohol training certificate as a condition of employment.
Frequently Asked Questions for California
The California alcohol certification is valid for 3 years from the issue date.
- You must be 21 years old to serve alcohol.
- An person must be at least 18 years of age to sell alcohol off-sale. An off-sale licensee may employ a person under the age of 18 if that person is under the continuous supervision of a person 21 years of age or older.
- A person between 18 and 21 years of age employed in any bona fide public eating place, which is licensed for the on-sale of alcoholic beverages, may serve alcoholic beverages to consumers only if such service occurs in an area primarily designed and used for the sale and service of food for consumption on the premises, and the primary duties of the employee shall be the service of meals to guests, with the service of alcoholic beverages being incidental to such duties.
- Local ordinances also regulate server age.
No. It is not mandatory to be California alcohol certified for most counties. Training will be mandatory as of July 1, 2021. It is important to note that most employers will require bartenders to complete a California alcohol certification for their liability insurance carrier regardless of state or city laws.
Yes, a felony conviction only prevents a person from obtaining a liquor license in the state of California.
Blood alcohol content or BAC for a DUI is .08% or more while being in physical control of a vehicle.
There is no Dram Shop liability in California, except when alcohol is served, sold, or otherwise provided to an obviously intoxicated minor. In such a case the server, seller, or provider may be held liable for damages.
The State of California does not have state-wide Happy Hour Prohibitions. Such laws may exist in your city or county. Check with your local jurisdiction for any restrictions.
- The bar closing time is 2 a.m.
- In San Jose, the last drink is served at 1:30 a.m., although bars aren’t required to close until 3 a.m.
- A bill in 2017 to let individual cities decide to move last call up to 4 a.m. was shot down.
To re-print your California certificate or wallet sized card, go to our Certificate Search section here: Certificate Search and Wallet Card
To be suitable as evidence for a defense, the identification card must be issued by a governmental agency and have a current description and a picture of the person presenting it which reasonably describes the person as to date of birth weight, height, sex and color of eyes and hair. No defense will exist if the card has obviously been altered or has expired.
In the event an Armed Forces identification card, Passport or Passport Card is provided as proof of identity and lacks a physical description, but does include date of birth and a photo, further proof of identity shall not be required.
A registration certificate issued under the Federal Selective Service Act is no longer considered documentary evidence of age, identity and date of birth.
Green cards and International Driver's Licenses are NOT acceptable forms of ID.
- A valid current driver's license or photo ID card.
- A valid Armed Forces ID;
- A valid U.S. passport or foreign passport (with U.S. travel visa) containing the holder's photograph.
We have over 30 plus years of experience and consider the most reputable and recommended training provider in the service of alcohol certification. Our founder, Robert Pomplun, has been involved in the hospitality industry as an alcohol certification consultant, instructor, manager, and coordinator. Our alcohol training and certification courses with Robert's guidance have benefited tens of thousands of bartenders, servers, managers, owners, and security staff across the nation. Our courses will prepare you and your team with knowledge as the most critical component of responsible alcohol service.
Learn more About Us!
Computers or devices compatible to take this course:
- Windows 7,8,or 10
- Mac OSX or better
- Android based tablet or phone (version 5.0 or better)
- iPhone 6 or better
- iPad 4 or better
Compatible web browsers:
- Google Chrome ver. 50 or better
- Mozilla Firefox ver. 45 or better
- Safari 10 or better
- Microsoft IE 11 or better
- Microsoft Edge
We want to make a special note concerning Samsung web browsers on Android devices. Interactive learning software has some difficulties with the Samsung browser. Please, switch to the native Google Chrome browser on your device instead. You will have a better user experience. Every Samsung smartphone comes with the native Google Chrome web browser. If you need to download it, click the link below.
Our Alcohol Training Course
Serving Alcohol has over 30 years of experience in teaching alcohol certification principles and in-depth knowledge. You'll learn alcohol awareness, intervention techniques, server duties, carding procedures, and state laws. All in a simple online alcohol server training course that is easy to understand. If you're a bartender, a waiter / waitress, or server looking to achieve your bartender license or server permit, then our course is the one you'll need.
- 100% Online interactive and self-paced training
- 100% Pass Guarantee or your money back
- 24/7 Customer Support Center
You'll learn how to:
- Protect yourself and establishment from liability
- Recognize the effects of alcohol on your customers
- Prevent customers from becoming overly intoxicated
- Intervene when you need to refuse a sale effectively
- Prevent and deal with disturbances
- Accurately check IDs and recognize minors with fake IDs
- Prevent second-party sales
- React with authorities when a problem arises