Wisconsin Responsible
Alcohol Service Course

Wisconsin Bartender License

List Price: $14.95

Wisconsin Bartender Licensing Certification

This is the required and state approved Wisconsin bartender licensing certification course. This course is approved and required for both on-premise and off-premise situations by the Wisconsin Department of Revenue. It's also known as the Wisconsin Alcohol Server Permit or Wisconsin Responsible Beverage Training. This Wisconsin alcohol certification training fully complies and is recommended for Wisconsin statutes 125.04, 125.17, and 134.66. Our Wisconsin alcohol certification course gives you with the tools to sell and serve alcohol responsibly both on-sale and off-sale.

The Wisconsin Municipal Clerks Association fully endorses and recommends Serving Alcohol Inc. for alcohol certification of Wisconsin residents. Since 1985, we have alcohol certified tens of thousands of individuals and businesses over the last 35 years. This course is created by former bar and restaurant managers, bartenders, and servers. Free certificate and wallet card given immediately after completion.  When completed, take this certificate to the city clerk's office in the city or town where you are working.  Click this link for the current listing of all of Wisconsin's city clerk officeshttps://elections.wi.gov/clerks/directory


Additionally, you will learn:

  • The effects of alcohol on your patrons
  • Keep customers from becoming intoxicated
  • Intervene when you need to refuse a sale
  • Prevent intoxicated customers from disturbing others
  • Properly check IDs and to recognize minors
  • Prevent second-party sales
  • Protect yourself and the establishment from liability


Quick and Easy

It's easy to begin and complete in one sitting or take our training course at your leisure. Leave and come back to the course as many times as needed.  When you return, the training will pick up where you last had left.


Use Any Device

Our courses can be completed on any computer, laptop, tablet, or cellphone. Your certificate is available to you immediately upon completion as an emailed PDF file.  Complete it tonight and email to your manager before going to work tomorrow.  Select your course, click Enroll Now, complete the course and print your certificate!


Required By State & Insurance Carriers

The state of Wisconsin does require anyone who sells and serves alcohol to be Wisconsin alcohol certified.  Plus, most liability insurance carriers for alcohol serving establishments (restaurants, bars, taverns, night clubs, etc.) require all employees to be alcohol certified. They will require your staff remain current with state rules, regulations, and laws, in regards to the service of alcohol.  As a result, more businesses are requiring our alcohol seller server certificate as a condition of employment.

Responsible Alcohol Manager Course

Only $29.99
List Price: $49.95

Wisconsin Food Handlers Card

Only $9.95

Serving Alcohol courses are compatible with
Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android

Business Account

Certify Staff with 15% Discount
Easily Train & Track Their Progress

Wisconsin Alcohol Laws and Information

Wisconsin State Liquor Authority

State of Wisconsin
Department of Revenue - Alcohol & Tobacco Enforcement
2135 Rimrock Road
P.O. Box 8933 Mail Stop 6-40
Madison, Wisconsin 53708-8933
Phone: 608-266-6757
Fax: 608-261-6240
Internet Website: WI DOR Website

Codes and Ordinance site for MANY municipalities in Wisconsin

Wisconsin Alcohol Age To Sell or Serve

Age to consume: 21
Age to serve: 18
Age to sell (retail): 18
Age to pour: 18
Wisconsin Alcohol Hours of Operation

On Premise Establishments Hours of Operation

Sunday thru Thursday 6:00 a.m. - 2 a.m. (the next day)

Friday & Saturday  6:00 a.m. - 2:30 a.m. (the next day)

There is no closing time for the New Year's holiday.

No carry out sales between 12:00 midnight - 6:00am

- local ordinances may further restrict carry out sales hours

Off Premise Hours of Operation

  Wine & Liquor

  • Monday thru Sunday, 6:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m.
  • Wine Sampling 11:00am until 7:00pm


  • Monday thru Sunday, 6:00 a.m. until Midnight
  • Beer Sampling 11:00am until 7:00pm

Wisconsin's DRAM Shop Law

125.035 Civil liability exemption: furnishing alcohol beverages.

(1) In this section, “person” has the meaning given in s. 990.01 (26).
(2) A person is immune from civil liability arising out of the act of procuring alcohol beverages for or selling, dispensing or giving away alcohol beverages to another person.
(3) Subsection (2) does not apply if the person procuring, selling, dispensing or giving away alcohol beverages causes their consumption by force or by representing that the beverages contain no alcohol.
(4) (a) In this subsection, “provider” means a person, including a licensee or permittee, who procures alcohol beverages for or sells, dispenses or gives away alcohol beverages to an underage person in violation of s. 125.07 (1) (a).(b) Subsection (2) does not apply if the provider knew or should have known that the underage person was under the legal drinking age and if the alcohol beverages provided to the underage person were a substantial factor in causing injury to a 3rd party. In determining whether a provider knew or should have known that the underage person was under the legal drinking age, all relevant circumstances surrounding the procuring, selling, dispensing or giving away of the alcohol beverages may be considered, including any circumstance under subds. 1. to 4. In addition, sub.(2) does apply if all of the following occur:

1. The underage person falsely represents that he or she has attained the legal drinking age.
2. The underage person supports the representation with documentation that he or she has attained the legal drinking age.
3. The alcohol beverages are provided in good faith reliance on the underage person’s representation that he or she has attained the legal drinking age.
4. The appearance of the underage person is such that an ordinary and prudent person would believe that he or she had attained the legal drinking age.
5. Subsection (2) does not apply to civil forfeiture actions for violation of any provision of this chapter or any local ordinance in conformity with any provision of this chapter.

How To Get Your Wisconsin Bartender License


Bartending can be a fun time. It gives you the ability to work in a lively and fun social environment, meet some interesting people, and most of all, leave with some extra cash in hand. Since bartending is primarily night work, it leaves your days free to work another job or finish college. Bartenders are subject to legal requirements that govern the alcohol industry. In Wisconsin, applying and obtaining a bartender license is required. Meeting bartender license requirements for Wisconsin is the first step to become a professional bartender.


Bartender license requirements are outlined by Wisconsin statutes 125.04, 125.17, and 134.66. If you’re planning to complete online or in-person coursework to satisfy requirements, make sure bartending schools are in compliance with regulations set forth in these statutes. Qualified schools will state that they are in compliance with these statutes in promotional materials; coursework must be approved by the Wisconsin Department of Revenue.


All of the Wisconsin clerks are most aware of our course and consider us the most recommended training provider.


In order to receive a Wisconsin bartender license, applicants are required to be over age 18, meet criminal record requirements and be certified by an approved school, according to the website Wisconsin Responsible Serving. You do not need to currently hold a bartending job in order to apply for and receive a Wisconsin bartender license. Licenses are only valid within your municipality; if you move, you’ll need to seek additional licensing. Municipalities are defined as the city, town or village where you live; requirements and regulations may vary depending on location.


Wisconsin bartender


To qualify for a Wisconsin bartender license, you must...

  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Meet criminal record requirements
  • Complete a certified Wisconsin responsible beverage server course. (Wisconsin.ServingAlcohol.com)
  • Obtain a Wisconsin Bartender License (Alcohol Operator License) from the municipality where you work. The city clerk typically issues the Wisconsin Bartender License.  The requirements can be different for each municipality. See below for a listing of Wisconsin cities, towns and villages. There are links to websites and in some cases to the applications for a Wisconsin Bartender License for that municipality.


You need to take this Wisconsin responsible beverage server course to get a license, unless you have taken this course in the past two years, or have had a valid Wisconsin Bartender License in the past two years (in any municipality).  The municipality may have additional requirements.


You may work under the "immediate supervision" of another licensed bartender (or the licensee) without a Wisconsin responsible beverage server course.  The licensed person must immediately supervise each sale.


 The last requirement can be waived if it is a renewal application or if you held an alcohol beverage license, including an operator's license, within the past two years. The municipality may issue you a provisional operator's license if you are enrolled in a responsible beverage server course when you apply. An operator's license is only good in the municipality that issues it. For instance, if you are issued an operator's license in the City of Milwaukee, you may not use it in a suburban municipality, like Franklin.


A criminal record may prevent you from getting a license, see the municipality you want to work in below, ask the city clerk about specifics if they are not mentioned in the Bartender's License Instructions below.


Wisconsin Bartender License and Permit Application Information

Click on the Wisconsin city or municipality below for city clerk information for a bartender license permit and application. 

Allouez Bartender License
Allouez Bartender License
Allouez Bartender License
Allouez Bartender License
Village Clerk

1900 Libal St.

Altoona, WI 54720


Clerk's Office

1303 Lynn Ave.

Green Bay, WI 54301


Clerk's Office

100 North Appleton St.

Appleton, WI 54911


Village Clerk

2155 Holmgren Way

Ashwaubenon, WI 54304


Beaver Dam Bartender License
Bellevue Bartender License
Beloit Bartender License
Allouez Bartender License
Clerk's Office

205 South Lincoln Ave

Beaver Dam, WI 53916


Clerk's Office

1303 Lynn Ave.

Green Bay, WI 54301


Clerk's Office

100 State St., 2nd fl.

Beloit, WI 53511


Clerk's Office

2000 N. Calhoun Rd

Brookfield, WI 5300


Caledonia Bartender License
Cudahy Bartender License
De Pere Bartender License
Eau Claire Bartender License
Clerk's Office

6922 Nicholson Rd.

Caledonia, WI 53108


Clerk's Office

5050 S. Lake Dr.

Cudahy, WI 53110


Clerk's Office

335 S. Broadway

De Pere, WI 54115


Clerk's Office

203 S. Farwell St., 3rd fl.

Eau Claire, WI 54701


Fitchburg Bartender License
Fond du Lac Bartender License
Franklin Bartender License
Germantown Bartender License
Clerk's Office

6922 Nicholson Rd.

Caledonia, WI 53108


Clerk's Office

160 South Macy St.

Fond du Lac, WI 54935


Clerk's Office

9229 W. Loomis Rd.

Franklin, WI 53132


N112 W17001 Mequon Rd.

P.O. Box 337

Germantown, WI 53022


Green Bay Bartender License
Greendale Bartender License
Greenfield Bartender License
Howard Bartender License
Clerk's Office

100 N. Jefferson St., Rm 106

Green Bay, WI 54301


Greendale Village Hall

6500 Northway

Greendale, WI 53129


Clerk's Office

7325 West Forest Home Ave.

Greenfield, WI 53220


Village Hall

2456 Glendale Ave.

Green Bay, WI 54313


Janesville Bartender License
Kaukauna Bartender License
Kenosha Bartender License
La Crosse Bartender License
Municipal Building

18 N. Jackson St., Main fl.

Janesville, WI 53545


201 W. Second St.

P.O. Box 890

Kaukauna, WI 54130


Clerk's Office

625 52nd St., Rm 105

Kenosha, WI 53140


Village Hall

400 La Crosse St., 2nd fl.

La Crosse, WI 54601


Madison Bartender License
Manitowoc Bartender License
Marshfield Bartender License
Menasha Bartender License
Room 103, Clerk's Office

210 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd

Madison, WI 53703


Clerk's Office

900 Quay St.

Manitowoc, WI 54220


630 S. Central Ave., 5th fl.

P.O. Box 727

Marshfield, WI 54449


City of Menasha

140 Main St., 3rd fl.

Menasha, WI 54952


Menomonee Falls Bartender License
Menomonie Bartender License
Mequon Bartender License
Middleton Bartender License
Clerk's Office

W156 N8480 Pilgrim Rd.

Menomonee Falls, WI 53051


Clerk's Office

800 Wilson Ave., 3rd fl.

Menomonie, WI 54751


City Hall, Clerk's Office

11333 N. Cedarburg Rd.

Mequon, WI 53092


Clerk's Office

7426 Hubbard Ave.

Middleton, WI 53562


Milwaukee Bartender License
Mount Pleasant Bartender License
Muskego Bartender License
Neenah Bartender License
City Hall, Room 205

200 E. Wells St.

Milwaukee, WI 53202


Vil of Mt. Pleasant – Clerk

6126 Durand Ave.

Racine, WI 53406


Clerk's Office

W182 S8200 Racine Ave.

Muskego, WI 53150


Clerk's Office

211 Walnut St.

Neenah WI 54956


New Berlin Bartender License
Oak Creek Bartender License
Oconomowoc Bartender License
Onalaska Bartender License
Clerk's Office

3805 S. Casper Dr.

New Berlin, WI 53151


Clerk's Office

8640 S. Howell Ave.

Oak Creek, WI 53154


City Hall, Clerk's Office

174 E. Wisconsin Ave.

Oconomowoc, WI 53066


Clerk's Office

415 Main St.

Onalaska, WI 54650


Oshkosh Bartender License
Pewaukee Bartender License
Pleasant Prairie Bartender License
Racine Bartender License
215 Church Ave.

P.O. Box 1130

Oshkosh, WI 54903


Visit Website

Clerk's Office

W240 3065 Pewaukee Rd.

Pewaukee, WI 53072


Visit Website

Village Hall

9915 39th Ave.

Pleasant Prairie, WI 53158


Visit Website

City Hall, Room 103

730 Washington Ave.

Racine, WI 53403


Visit Website

River Falls Bartender License
Sheboygan Bartender License
Shorewood Bartender License
South Milwaukee Bartender License
City Hall, Clerk's Office

222 Lewis St.

Oshkosh, WI 54903

River Falls, WI 54022


Clerk's Office

828 Center Ave., 2nd fl.

Sheboygan, WI 53081


Village Hall

3930 N. Murray Ave.

Shorewood, WI 53211


City Admin Bldg – Clerk

2424 15th Ave.

South Milwaukee, WI 53172


Stevens Point Bartender License
Sun Prairie Bartender License
Superior BartendVisiter License
Watertown Bartender License
Clerk's Office

1515 Strongs Ave

Stevens Point, WI 54481

River Falls, WI 54022


Clerk's Office

300 E. Main St.

Sun Prairie, WI 53590


Clerk's Office

1316 N. 14th St., Ste. 200

Superior, WI 54880


Clerk's Office

106 Jones St.

Watertown, WI 53094


Waukesha Bartender License
Waunakee Bartender License
Wausau Bartender License
Wauwatosa Bartender License
Waukesha City Hall

201 Delafield St., Rm 104

Waukesha, WI 53188


Village Hall

500 W. Main St.

Waunakee, WI 53597


Clerk's Office

407 Grant St.

Wausau, WI 54403


Clerk's Office

7725 W. North Ave.

Wauwatosa, WI 53213


West Allis Bartender License
West Bend Bartender License
Whitefish Bay Bartender License
Whitewater Bartender License
City Hall, Room 108

7525 W. Greenfield Ave.

West Allis, WI 53214


Clerk's Office

1115 S. Main St.

West Bend, WI 53090


Village of Whitefish Bay

5300 North Marlborough Dr.

Whitefish Bay, WI 53217


City Hall, Clerk's Office

312 W. Whitewater St.

Whitewater, WI 53190


Wisconsin Rapids Bartender License
City of Wisconsin Rapids

444 West Grand Ave., 1st fl.

Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54495


Contact Us if you see any broken links or if you would like your city, town, or village listed.