New York Alcohol Training Awareness Program (ATAP) Online
Our New York ATAP Alcohol Training Awareness Program is approved and complies with the New York State Liquor Authority (NYSLA). In New York, responsible alcohol service training provides mitigating benefits: The New York State Liquor Authority (NYSLA) will consider training a mitigating factor if, at the time of violation, the person who committed the violation held a valid certificate of completion or renewal from a certified alcohol training awareness program provider and the licensee diligently implemented and complied with the training program.
Since 1985, we have alcohol certified tens of thousands of individuals and businesses over the last 34 years. Serving Alcohol was founded by former bar and restaurant managers, bartenders, and servers. Our training incorporates decades of research. Over the decades, we have worked diligently with the state department and liability lawyers to create the most reputable and recommended alcohol certification training.
We recognize that you are busy and alcohol training maybe not on the forefront of your mind. We aim to give you accurate knowledge and quickly bring you "up to speed" with the most recent laws. Some of our information may seem common knowledge. But, as you do, we take your profession very seriously. Your decisions, while serving alcohol, could make a dramatic difference in another person's life. With a little of your time and our training, we will help you become a safer alcohol seller or server and increase your tips. Select your course, click Enroll Now, complete the course and print your free certificate and wallet card all within a couple of hours.
This New York alcohol course gives you with the tools to sell and serve alcohol responsibly. With our course you will not only protect yourself but the establishment where you are serving the alcohol. Additionally, you will learn:
- NYSLA-Approved Course
- Fastest way to get your NY Alcohol Seller/Server license
- Highly recognized by bars, restaurants, liquor stores, and insurance carriers
- The effects of alcohol on your patrons
- Keep customers from becoming intoxicated
- Intervene when you need to refuse a sale
- Prevent intoxicated customers from disturbing others
- Properly check IDs and to recognize minors
- Prevent second-party sales
- Protect yourself and the establishment from liability
Quick & Easy
This course takes 3 hours or less depending on the individual. It's easy to begin and complete in one sitting or take our training course at your leisure. Leave and come back to the course as many times as needed. When you return, the training will pick up where you last had left.
Use Any Cell Phone, Tablet, or Computer
Our courses can be completed on any computer, tablet, or cellphone. Your certificate is available to you immediately upon completion as an emailed PDF file. Complete it tonight and email to your manager before going to work tomorrow. Select your course, click enroll now, complete the course and print your certificate!
Required By Most Insurance Carriers
Most liability insurance carriers for alcohol serving establishments (restaurants, bars, taverns, night clubs, etc.) require all employees to be alcohol certified. They will require your staff remain current with state rules, regulations, and laws, in regards to the service of alcohol. As a result, more businesses are requiring our alcohol training certificate as a condition of employment.
New York ATAP
Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
The New York ATAP alcohol certification is valid for 3 years from the issue date.
- 18- Note: Barbacks/busboys must be 16 years of age in an on-premise
establishment and directly supervised by an employee 21 years or older.
- 18 - Minimum age to be able to serve alcohol in New York.
- 18 - Minimum age to sell alcohol in a liquor or convenience store.
No. It is not mandatory to be New York alcohol certified. Responsible alcohol training is required by most employers for their liability insurance carrier regardless of state or city laws.
Yes, with restrictions. If a felon will be working at any location other than a restaurant (bar, club, tavern, etc.) a Certificate of Relief is needed for their felony charge and each misdemeanor. If a felon will be working at a premises that is filed and operating as a restaurant with the SLA, they do not need a Certificate of Relief, despite their felony and/or misdemeanor.
Blood alcohol content or BAC for a DUI is .08% or more while being in physical control of a vehicle.
Licensees and servers can be held liable for selling to minors or visibly intoxicated guests.
Section 11-100 covers liability when the intoxicated person is a minor, while Section 11-101 covers liability when a vendor or individual provides alcohol to an intoxicated person illegally. In these situations, an injured person may bring a claim against the party who provided the alcohol if:
- the vendor or host "knowingly" caused intoxication or impairment by "unlawfully" providing alcohol (11-101), or
- the vendor or host knowingly caused intoxication or impairment by unlawfully providing alcohol to someone they knew or had reason to believe was under age 21 (11-100).
No promotion may require proof of purchase of an alcohol beverage. All drinks must be served to the customer. Bottle sales, except for wines and champagnes, are prohibited. The law allows a licensee to offer a food and drink combination for a special price.
On Premise Establishment: Monday thru Saturday: 8:00 a.m. until Midnight. Sundays: Sales prohibited between 4:00 a.m. until Noon
Off Premise/Retail Stores: Monday thru Saturday: 8:00 a.m. until Midnight. Grocery Stores: 24 hours. Sunday: Sales prohibited in liquor, grocery and drug stores between 3:00 a.m. until Noon
Note: May vary- refer to local jurisdiction chart at https://sla.ny.gov/county-closing-hours.
To re-print your New York certificate or wallet sized card, go to our Certificate Search section here: Certificate Search and Wallet Card
- A valid driver’s license or non-driver identification card issued by the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles, the Federal Government, a State Government, Commonwealth, Possession or Territory of the United States or a Provincial Government of Canada: or
- a valid U.S. passport
- valid passport from any other country
- a valid military ID from the U.S.
State of New York
State Liquor Authority
84 Holland Avenue
Albany, New York 12208
General Internet Site: www.abc.state.ny.us
We have over 30 plus years of experience and consider the most reputable and recommended training provider in the service of alcohol certification. Our founder, Robert Pomplun, has been involved in the hospitality industry as an alcohol certification consultant, instructor, manager, and coordinator. Our alcohol training and certification courses with Robert's guidance have benefited tens of thousands of bartenders, servers, managers, owners, and security staff across the nation. Our courses will prepare you and your team with knowledge as the most critical component of responsible alcohol service.
Learn more About Us!
Computers or devices compatible to take this course:
- Windows 7,8,or 10
- Mac OSX or better
- Android based tablet or phone (version 5.0 or better)
- iPhone 6 or better
- iPad 4 or better
Compatible web browsers:
- Google Chrome ver. 50 or better
- Mozilla Firefox ver. 45 or better
- Safari 10 or better
- Microsoft IE 11 or better
- Microsoft Edge
We want to make a special note concerning Samsung web browsers on Android devices. Interactive learning software has some difficulties with the Samsung browser. Please, switch to the native Google Chrome browser on your device instead. You will have a better user experience. Every Samsung smartphone comes with the native Google Chrome web browser. If you need to download it, click the link below.
Our Alcohol Training Course
Serving Alcohol has over 35 years of experience in teaching alcohol certification principles and in-depth knowledge. You'll learn alcohol awareness, intervention techniques, server duties, carding procedures, and state laws. All in a simple online alcohol server training course that is easy to understand. If you're a bartender, a waiter / waitress, or server looking to achieve your bartender license or server permit, then our course is the one you'll need.
- 100% Online interactive and self-paced training
- <100% Pass Guarantee or your money back
- 24/7 Customer Support Center
You'll learn how to:
- Protect yourself and establishment from liability
- Recognize the effects of alcohol on your customers
- Prevent customers from becoming overly intoxicated
- Intervene when you need to refuse a sale effectively
- Prevent and deal with disturbances
- Accurately check IDs and recognize minors with fake IDs
- Prevent second-party sales
- React with authorities when a problem arises