Iowa Responsible Alcohol Seller Server Course
Our Iowa Alcohol Seller Server course certifies to sell and serve alcoholic beverages responsibly. Many insurance carriers offer discounts to bars and restaurants who certify their staff on responsible alcohol service. Since 1985, we have alcohol certified tens of thousands of individuals and businesses over the last 34 years.
Our Serving Alcohol Iowa Responsible Alcohol Server Course certificate simple and hassle free. This Serving Alcohol course is often referred as the Iowa bartender license or Iowa seller/server permit. We give you proof of successful completion of your Iowa alcohol training program immediately upon completion. Complete it tonight and email to your manager before going to work tomorrow. Select your course, click Enroll Now, complete the course and print your certificate!
You will learn how to be a responsible server and seller of alcohol. Knowing how alcohol affects the body and how to recognize the effects of alcohol with your customers is key as knowing how to intervene when as customer has had too much. Knowing how to accurately check IDs and to recognize minors who to use them is taught within this course. Overall, you will know how to protect yourself and the establishment from liability.
Advantages to our online course:
- Easily complete at your own pace
- Login and out of course as many times as needed to complete
- Up to 6 months to complete your course
- Only 70% to pass and get your certificate
- Retake final exam until pass if needed FREE
- Immediately download & email your certificate for FREE
We cover topics in our Iowa bartender course about how old you need to be to become a bartender and how to get your bartender license. For reference, we have a web page dedicated to some helpful bartender career statistics in the US. For general information on obtaining a bartending license (not specific to any state), see our Ultimate Guide to Getting a Bartending License.
Our alcohol seller server certification course gives you with the tools to sell and serve alcohol responsibly. Additionally, you will learn:
- The effects of alcohol on your patrons
- Keep customers from becoming overly intoxicated
- Intervene when you need to refuse a sale
- Prevent intoxicated customers from disturbing others
- Properly check IDs and to recognize minors
- Prevent second-party sales
- Protect yourself and the establishment from liability
Less Than 3 Hours
This course takes 3 hours or less depending on the individual. It's easy to begin and complete in one sitting or take our training course at your leisure. Leave and come back to the course as many times as needed. When you return, the training will pick up where you last had left.
Use Any Device
Our courses can be completed on any computer, laptop, tablet, or cellphone. Your certificate is available to you immediately upon completion as an emailed PDF file. Complete it tonight and email to your manager before going to work tomorrow. Select your course, click Enroll Now, complete the course and print your certificate!
Required By Most Insurance Carriers
Most liability insurance carriers for alcohol serving establishments (restaurants, bars, taverns, night clubs, etc.) require all employees to be alcohol certified. They will require your staff remain current with state rules, regulations, and laws, in regards to the service of alcohol. As a result, more businesses are requiring our alcohol seller server certificate as a condition of employment.
Iowa Responsible Alcohol Service
Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
The Iowa alcohol certification is valid for 3 years from the issue date.
- The minimum age to serve alcohol in Iowa is 16 years old or older.
- The minimum age to sell alcohol in Iowa is 18 years old (Barbacks/busboys may be 16 years of age as long as there is no serving of alcohol).
- Local ordinances can raise the minimum age for pouring and serving alcohol.
No. It is not mandatory to be Iowa alcohol certified for most counties. It is important to note that most employers will require bartenders to complete a Iowa alcohol certification for their liability insurance carrier regardless of state or city laws.
Yes. The state does not prohibit felons from being servers but you cannot be a licensee, owner, officer or manager.
Blood alcohol content or BAC for a DUI is .08% or more while being in physical control of a vehicle.
Licensees are civilly liable if an intoxication guest is served, or if the guest is served
to the point of visible intoxication, or if a reasonable person should have known the
alcohol service would lead to intoxication. All licensees, except Class E licensees,
must carry liquor liability insurance. (Note to servers: Though not civilly liable,
servers are still criminally liable for serving intoxicated guests.) It is possible to use
the defense that the guest’s intoxication did not contribute to the injury or damages.
NOTE: Although it is not stated, it can be inferred that both licensees and
employees are liable if the guest is a minor.
Iowa does not have laws regulating Happy Hours or promotions, but local ordinance
may apply. The law allows a licensee to offer a food and drink combination for a
special price. “Happy Hour”, “Drink special” and “Promotions” are not regulated
by Iowa laws. However Iowa Civil rights Act prohibits bar promotions based on
gender, therefore “Ladies Night” promotions are not allowed.
The hours during which alcoholic beverages may be legally sold and served are:
• Monday through Saturday 6 AM to 2 AM
• Sunday 8 AM to 2 AM
A Sunday sales privilege is required for all off-premises beer and all on-premises liquor, wine and beer licensees wanting to serve on Sundays. Licensees may not sell, serve, dispense, or consume alcoholic beverages at private parties or while cleaning the establishment on Sundays, unless the premises is also licensed for Sunday sales privilege.
To re-print your Iowa certificate or wallet sized card, go to our Certificate Search section here: Certificate Search and Wallet Card
- A valid current driver's license or photo ID card.
- State-Issued ID Card.
- A valid Armed Forces ID;
- A valid U.S. passport containing the holder's photograph.
Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division
1918 SE Hulsizer Road
Ankeny, IA 50021
Toll-free: 866-IowaABD (469-2223)
We have over 30 plus years of experience and consider the most reputable and recommended training provider in the service of alcohol certification. Our founder, Robert Pomplun, has been involved in the hospitality industry as an alcohol certification consultant, instructor, manager, and coordinator. Our alcohol training and certification courses with Robert's guidance have benefited tens of thousands of bartenders, servers, managers, owners, and security staff across the nation. Our courses will prepare you and your team with knowledge as the most critical component of responsible alcohol service.
Learn more About Us!
- Windows 7,8,or 10
- Mac OSX or better
- Android based tablet or phone (version 5.0 or better)
- iPhone 6 or better
- iPad 4 or better
Compatible web browsers:
- Google Chrome ver. 50 or better
- Mozilla Firefox ver. 45 or better
- Safari 10 or better
- Microsoft IE 11 or better
- Microsoft Edge
We want to make a special note concerning Samsung web browsers on Android devices. Interactive learning software has some difficulties with the Samsung browser. Please, switch to the native Google Chrome browser on your device instead. You will have a better user experience. Every Samsung smartphone comes with the native Google Chrome web browser. If you need to download it, click the link below.
Most Recommended Alcohol Certification Training
Serving Alcohol has over 35 years of experience with teaching alcohol certification principles and in-depth knowledge. You'll learn alcohol awareness training, intervention techniques, server duties, carding procedures, and state laws. All in a simple online alcohol server training course that is easy to understand. If you're a bartender, a waiter / waitress, or server looking to achieve your bartender license for Florida or server permit, then our course is the one you'll need.
- Online interactive and self-paced training
- 100% Pass Guarantee or your money back
- 24/7 Customer Support Center
Who Should Take our Alcohol Certification
- Bar backs
- Servers & Wait Staff
- Restaurant / Bar Supervisors
- Restaurant / Bar Managers & Owners
- Wine & Liquor Store Cashiers
- Grocery Store Cashiers
- Store Supervisors, Manager, & Owners
You Will Learn How To
- Protect yourself and establishment from liability
- Recognize the effects of alcohol on your customers
- Prevent customers from becoming overly intoxicated
- Intervene when you need to refuse a sale effectively
- Prevent and deal with disturbances
- Accurately check IDs and recognize minors with fake IDs
- Prevent second-party sales
- React with authorities when a problem arises